The beginnings of tourism in Schwarzsee
Crucial for the start of tourism in Schwarzsee was not the magnificent mountain landscape or the pretty mountain lake. Instead the spas were what lured the first visitors to the region.
In 1717 Peter Schuwey discovered a sulphur spring; in 1784 he erected the first bath house there. In this way Schwarzsee gradually became known in wider circles. In 1804 a landslide completely destroyed the bath house and in 1810 the brothers Jakob and Franz Blanc replaced it with a new building. Today Hotel Bad stands in this place. 90 years from then Hotel Gypsera was erected, whose name reflects the local gypsum deposits. In 1913 a third hotel followed: Hotel Spitzfluh.